Wednesday, December 06, 2006

home

early in the morning
eating my cheesy toast
in my very own robe
in my home

my home
is spacious nd well appointed
inside

outside
is cramped and nervous
who's mad now?
do i have to go there?
do that?
i'd rather not
but i do

being in theatre
is like staying in highschool
everything's fine
as long as you're cool

i was a popular kid
for years
now i hang out by the automotive shop
smoking weed
picking fights
wearing black leather
mourning
sure
i am still cool
in my way
i don't really miss the football team
as people
i just dread my necessary trips
to their locker room

being in theatre
is like staying in high school
but being over thirty
means you can forget about it

because

really

who cares?

life is too large, short and crazy
and i am too

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in high school, but I am a Drama nerd... for example, lunch-theatre, after school-theatre, between classes-theatre, then on weekends I either have rehearsal or go to the nearest theatre (often rapid fire)
Crad does that make me cool? or uber lame? What will become of me?

cradman said...

The first thing to know is:

I have no wisdom.

However.

I see all these young people who don't know what to do with themselves, not particularily interested in anything, passionate about nothing. Knowing what you love is a gift, and it is a shame not to use your gifts.

Plus, being an artist can provide some pretty exciting and interesting moments. That panting backstage because you aren't quite prepared but the show must go on. It's like sky diving. Money isn't everything.

But -

It is hard work. Being anything is hard work. Being unhappy in some lame ass job 45 hours a week is incredibly hard work.

One question though? Do you have talent? If you have small talent, are you willing to work hard enough to develop it?

Being an artist is hard, but being a bad artist is way harder. Maybe too hard. Maybe not. But the only way to make a living is to be quite good, and respectful of others and nice to work with, until you're old and in charge and drunk. And you know, even then, you have to be pretty damn good, just to live with yourself.

Did I help?

Didn't think so.