Saturday, March 25, 2006

So I was mistaken

And showbiz seems to be actually tough. It's a pretty hard thing to wrap your head around. Sure, doing shows was always some work, and fun work atthat, art even, which I am called to do vocationally and love to labout at, but this business stuff. So many people are so paranoid about contracts that there need be lawyers and agents and all kinds of people, and it seems that people have good cause to be paranoid, but the fact is, I have as of yet, never been cheated, practically ever in a theatrical business dealing. (touch wood)

it is also a big misapprehension that because I am successful and in charge of things that I am also an entertainment lawyer, ready to see at a glance what might be wrong with this contract and that. This is not so. I studied no law. Check my wall. It does not even bear my BFA degree, which was lost, unbeknownst to me, and found years later in Jacob Banigan's (formerly mine) basement, and then rather promptly lost again. I guess I should frame it, but it doesn't seem like it would look cool. Why can't degrees be commissioned to awesome painters/psychics who create a visual depiction of the graduate's potential? I would hang that up.

Anyway, I am tired, being used to getting up quite early from my time in Nicaragua and the busy-ness of life of late. And even though the show (rather a good one) kept me up quite late last night I was up at the crack of dawn to start worrying about and doing things.

It occurs to me rather self consciously that I use this forum to do something that is often much like whining.

It occurs to me also that of late my main typing mistake is that I put the spac eba rno twheret hewor dendsb utjus tbefor ethelas tletter of the word. Weird, right?

I sense that the RFT young company is becoming restless. I sense that me and Kevin are too often away, and these young artists feel rudderless. I also am noticing that while Theatresports is a fun outlet for many, it is vital art to others, and that the attitude of one might be ruining it somewhat for the others. I worry I am not a good AD in this respect. Sure, I promote well and put bums in seats. But I need to do more. Be more in this job than I have been.

How to balance between this weighty responsibility and my rather complicated playwrighting career? Perhaps a coke addiction...

4 comments:

Kevin Gillese said...

A wise man once told me:

"Keep the faith."

And I have tried to do just this.

For if my road were smooth and free of peril,
everyone would walk it.

I march on,
staring danger in it's beautiful eyes,
not because I have faith that God will save me,
but because I believe in my own strength and the strength of those around me to rise again should I ever stumble.

And I know that I can always listen to Muse's "Butterflies and Hurricanes" if I need to be pumped up because if there's any irony in that song I certainly can't hear it.

I wanted to post this anonymously but your blog does not allow it so I guess I'll have to own up to it.

Keep the faith.

Shawn Pallier said...

You're right, for some of us, RFT is a really huge deal. But you know what? Those of us who feel the following way have to work it out for ourselves. If we feel that others don't take it as seriously, that's our own shit to figure out.
Everyone who's currently in the cast is a great contributor. Each in their own way.
No amount of Craddo can force people to feel different. We have to take charge of ourselves.

chadisarobot said...

Greetings to the leader.

When we spoke last season of the chance that you may not have been our AD again this season, I was more than bummed out.

Luckily, you did not have to leave.

Take as much time as you need to do the things you have to do. It is worth losing you to brief adventures if it means you will stay on long term as our fearless leader.

I think that you do an awesome job, and I don't feel that there is anyone else you can fill your shoes as completely at this time.

I would also hate to lose you because you longed for more than RFT. We all back you and hope for your con't'd growth and success, I just hope there will always be a piece that is ours!!!

ablebody said...

mad crad, you ask the right questions.