Friday, February 03, 2006

like a heavy hat

Entropy is a part of life. It is only natural that my laptop, after four years of faithful service seems a bit slow now and is plainly missing the V key. It is only natural that after 33 years of drinking daily and practicing a diet of "Selective Atkins" I should find myself lazy and couchful. Things Fall Apart.

It is also natural that the state of the world should depress me. Here we are with all the information in the world available, and news remains bad. We are more enlightened and aware of how the bastards are fucking us and we do nothing. Half of us even go out of our way to help them out. It's naturally depressing, the same way that Lucky Charms are magically delicious. It is just so, and we'd worry if it wasn't.

Anyhow.

The other morning I was rewatching a great film "As Good as it Gets" with Jack Nicholson and Helent Hunt and so forth, and I cried like a baby. And it wasn't that the performances and writing were so good,, though they were. And it wasn't that I was high on a superdose of someone else's Wellbutrin. It was the part where Helen Hunt finally gets a doctor for her sick kid and she's so grateful. And it hit me like a ton of bricks. This is what humans want, more than anything. They want their kids to be okay, happy and healthy. It's a simple thing to want, and the resources exist, so why is it so hard for so many parents to maintain this?

At the same time, I'd like to have a nice car. Like, a really nice car. Like a Tiburon maybe.

No comments: