Tuesday, April 25, 2006

posting without

So what does one say when there is nothing to say?

When the shows are going fine and the gay rap is being written, probably will be done by deadline.

Scott Thompson is coming to the opening of my show in Toronto, and I won't be there to claim my rightful place as his BFF. Too bad, in a ton of ways.

I am a bit jealous of the guys in the show. Last night they had MTV drive them around partying, as they went from place to place, followed by cameras. Last Sunday they sang the national anthem at the Jays game. They are getting the full star treatment. While I am here in Edmonton. Opening windows and rearranging my 10 inch justice league action figure collection, complete with a tiny ATOM, as well as the rare WONDER WOMAN figure, but still lacking the even rarer HAWKGIRL figure. (too late, you missed my birthday)

I feel as though, in many ways, BoyGroove is passing me, its creator, by. As I wave at it from my lawn chair by the highway and hope for a big cheque.

It is a nice day, however, and my work goes swimmingly.

ennui is a funny thing, not just in its spelling, which is hilarious, but in its random ability to strike even when the going is good.

damn you ennui!

Times like this, I must avoid being a spoiled North American and remember how much more meaningful the good moments would be if I were suffering hunger or dodging landmines, instead doing pretty much whatever creative project I want whenever I want.

They say that most unhappiness can be chalked up to fatigue and fear, and I have a fair amount of both. Perhaps a nap and some yoga. Oops, nope. I must instead write more gay rap. It does present some really specific challenges.

ie - rap being so tied to drug culture - how can I say that someone is stoned for being gay in other countries without being mistaken for high?

and - many many words rhyme with gay, but how much is too much water drawn from that well, in the course of a 70 minute opera?

pretty specific right?

i came here today to spit the facts
jill the jacks and tear up the contracts
and ax a few questions of the man upstairs
bout why my people been caught unawares

And i did, you know. That's why I came here today.

No comments: